President of the Ukrainian Association of Medical Physicists (UAMP) Ruslan Zelinskyi took part in the Congress “Radiology in Ukraine 2018”, which took place on March 28-30 and presented a report on “The role of medical physicists in modern radiology”, which focused on attention to the following:
- Medical physicist in modern radiology is an equal member of the multidisciplinary team not only in the field of radiation therapy, but also in diagnostic and intervention radiology, nuclear medicine and radiation medical physics (radiation protection).
- The medical physicist should be involved in all processes related to equipment and safety, in particular in the process of design, calculation of protection and installation of new departments, development of technical requirements for equipment, acceptance and commissioning of equipment, etc.
- A medical physicist may be involved in counseling patients.
- Medical physicist in modern radiology also works with MRI and ultrasound, despite the fact that this equipment is not radiation-hazardous.
- The development of medical physics is possible only with the close cooperation of public authorities (legislative, executive, regulatory) with professional associations of specialists.
In the discussion after the reports, special attention was paid to the problems of radiation safety in diagnostic radiology. We came to the conclusion that without the participation of medical physicists to implement a quality control program, to optimize the dose load on the patient during diagnostic procedures is almost impossible.
Agreements were reached with the President of the Ukrainian Association of Radiologists (ARU) Tetyana Yalynska to work together on the development of radiology in Ukraine.